at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Happy Halloween - 2011

Saturday was our annual Halloween party!  We had a great time with friends, playing games and eating food.  I decided after last year to do another giant pot of chili as the main food dish.  It worked out great, and anything left over I’ll freeze and use over the next few months.  

As for the rest of the food…I tried a couple of new recipes.  The first one was a recipe for pumpkin cookies with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.  They were pretty good, and did not have an overpowering pumpkin flavor at all.  The recipe came from a magazine I got at work.  The second new recipe I tried was a version of white chocolate bark, made with crushed Oreos and candy corn – very sweet, but good!  I also made an old family favorite that has become a tradition for me every Halloween – Bacon-Wrapped Water Chestnuts.  They don’t really have a name, so I guess that’s what I’ll call them.  Normally, I just say those “bacon water chestnut things” – but somehow that doesn’t seem appropriate for a recipe title.  At any rate, here’s what you do:

Ingredients:
-          1 package of bacon
-          1-2 cans of whole water chestnuts
-          Barbeque sauce

Directions:
Cut the slab of bacon into thirds.  Cut water chestnuts in half.  Roll a piece of bacon around each water chestnut half and place in a glass baking dish.  Cover with barbeque sauce.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bacon is cooked and sauce is bubbly.  Insert a toothpick into each bacon-wrapped water chestnut and serve immediately (although, be careful, these guys come out piping hot!).

Now, on to the costumes.  I had my costume planned a while back, and I thought Tom did, too.  I was a female version of the old McDonald’s character – The Hamburglar!
Rubble, Rubble!
Tom had originally planned on being The Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  Unfortunately, the helmet proved troublesome to replicate.  So, we found ourselves rushing to put together a new costume for him just a few hours before the party started!  I think it turned out pretty well…we turned Tom into a Chia Pet!

Cha, Cha, Cha, Chia!
And, of course, we can't forget about The Cheat.  He was dressed up this year as a pirate...and I would say it suits him well.
MEH! ARRR!
I had my painted pumpkins all around the house, as well as a few other fall decorations.







Perhaps the best décor was a recent, more permanent change, however.  Tom recently decided to paint a “screen” on the wall where our projector shines.  I was not convinced that his was a good idea, but I think it turned out great!  Tom built a frame around it and we painted the wall around that.  He finished it just in time for the party!  Check it out:

Now it really looks like a home theater!
Tonight, actually Halloween night, we have some fun stuff in store for our trick-or-treaters.  We have a big trick-or-treating neighborhood, but it seems that most kids don’t actually make it all the way down to our end of the street.  We’re basically off the back entrance.  So, in an effort to lure kids, we have purchased the big, full-sized candy bars—AND we have a bonus bin of miscellaneous items they can choose from (most of which contains freebies from my brother—like the millions of yellow stress balls Tom got from him in our white elephant Christmas exchange last year!).  If we succeed, word will spread, and we will get lots of trick-or-treaters next year!  Wish us luck :)

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION