at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Naked Burrito Slillet

naked burrito enchilada skillet recipe with chicken and black beans

Sometimes you just need some easy and delicious comfort food. I had made something similar to this before, but I needed to use some particular ingredients. I had grilled some chicken the night before and had a lot leftover. I also had tomatoes and jalapeños from the CSA that I had to use. Looking for easy, I decided on a skillet dish served over rice for a "naked burrito" type dinner that was simple yet tasty. It's not quite one-pot cooking, because I did make rice separately...but still, easy cleanup!


Ingredients:
  • 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can enchilada sauce
  • 2 small tomatoes, diced
  • 1 jalapeño, chopped
  • 2 oz cream cheese
  • 1 cup Mexican cheese blend, shredded
  • Cooked rice
Directions:
Heat chicken and black beans in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add enchilada sauce, jalapeño, tomatoes and cream cheese. Heat, stirring frequently until cream cheese is fully melted. Top with Mexican cheese and move skillet to the oven, and set on broil. Broil skillet for 3-5 minutes until cheese is bubbly and beginning to brown. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Scoop out with a spoon and serve over rice.



This recipe could easily be tweaked based on whatever ingredients you have on hand. Sub in ground beef or turkey for the chicken. Add more peppers, onions and other veggies. Try a green enchilada sauce or adding green chiles for a different flavor. 

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION