at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Cheesy Vegetable Soup

I’m not a huge soup person but when the days grow short and the temperature drops, it does sound good.  I wanted to make broccoli cheddar soup the other day; I couldn’t remember which recipe I had used last time, but I remembered liking it.  As it turns out, I somehow failed to find the Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe I had posted to this very blog just a little over a year ago.  SO, I did the work all over again to create a new recipe.  I remembered that recipe I liked called for cauliflower in addition to the broccoli, so I made sure to pick some up when I went grocery shopping.  From there, I decided I’d turn to my trusty friend, AllRecipes.com to get me started.  It wasn’t long before I stumbled upon this recipe for Potato, Broccoli and Cheese Soup – and it sounded intriguing.  If you don’t know, potatoes are one of my favorite foods, so obviously this recipe had some appeal.  Only, this recipe didn’t call for the cauliflower which I had already purchased with the intention of using it in my soup.  So…I added it!  I ended up with a sort of blend between that recipe and what I could remember of the last time I made some sort of cheesy broccoli soup.

Ingredients:
-          4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
-          1 head cauliflower, chopped
-          6 small broccoli crowns, chopped
-          1 medium onion, diced
-          2 cans vegetable stock
-          2 cups water
-          3 cups cheddar cheese
-          2 Tbsp. butter
-          Ground black pepper
-          Garlic powder

Directions:
Sautee onions in butter in a large stock pot.  Cook until onions are translucent.  Add vegetable stock, water, potatoes, cauliflower and broccoli.  Simmer until potatoes are soft.  Blend or process soup until mostly smooth (I used my super nifty Ninja handheld blender that my husband so lovingly gave to me as a very early birthday present!).  Return soup to pot and stove (if you needed to remove to blend) and heat over medium-low.  Add spices to taste.  Add cheese and stir until melted and well mixed.

*Note to self: next time look harder on your own blog if you think you might’ve posted a recipe before

**Note to reader: you now have two very similar recipes to choose from – take your pick!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION