at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

For me, Fall time means soup time!  I decided to try to make broccoli cheddar soup this week.  I had made it once or twice before, but it’s been a while…and I’m not sure which recipe I had used before.  This time, I decided to kind of make up my own recipe, after getting some inspiration from a few recipes online.  Here’s what I ended up with:



Ingredients:
-          2 crowns of broccoli
-          1 head of cauliflower
-          1 medium yellow onion, chopped
-          4 stalks of celery, chopped
-          5 Tbsp. butter
-          ½ cup flour
-          2 cups 2% milk (I’m sure whole milk or half & half would make a creamier soup)
-          2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
-          ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
-          Celery seed

Directions:

  1. Coarsely chop broccoli and cauliflower and place in a pot; fill pot with enough water to almost cover the vegetables.  Boil on stove and cook until vegetables are tender.
  2. Put the broccoli and cauliflower, along with some of the water from the pot in a blender or food processor; blend until pureed.
  3. Sautee onions and celery in butter in a large pot until tender; add flour and mix well.
  4. Add milk to onion and celery mixture.  Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
  5. Add broccoli puree mixture to the onion and celery mixture, and stir.
  6. Add nutmeg and a couple dashes of celery seed.
  7. Slowly add cheddar cheese, stirring until completely melted.

Overall, I thought it turned out pretty good.  It would’ve been great in a bread bowl (think Panera)…or at least some French bread on the side.  Unfortunately, I had neither.  Next time!  This made a decent size batch of soup.  I think I will be bringing some for lunches this week and freezing some for a later date!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION