at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

A Taste of Fall: Stuffed Acorn Squash

I am not a big squash fan.  Just the name of it sounds kind of gross.  Squash.  But, it’s supposed to be healthy and as a fall fanatic, something always draws me to the piles of squash at the farmer’s market.  Along with pumpkins and gourds, squash is a symbol of fall.  Usually I just use it next to my Indian Corn to fill my cornucopia.

However, in the past couple years I have started to branch out a little and have tried cooking with it.  I picked up an acorn squash at the store recently, and I have seen several stuffed squash recipes that sounded interesting, but of course I couldn’t find a recipe that was quite what I was looking for AND used the ingredients that I happened to have on hand.  So, I decided to make up my own recipe to try for dinner tonight.  Here’s what I did:

Ingredients:

1 acorn squash, halved and seeded
½ cup couscous
Chopped walnuts
Onion, diced
1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
Garlic salt
Cumin
Cinnamon

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Place squash halves in a baking dish.  Place ½ Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. brown sugar in each half.  Put in the oven to begin to bake.  Cook couscous according to package directions.  Once couscous is done, toss in some chopped walnuts and diced onion, then season to taste with garlic salt, cumin and brown sugar.  Go back to the acorn squash and mix butter (should be melted by now) and brown sugar together and spread around the edges of the squash.  Scoop the couscous mixture into the squash halves.  Cover and bake for an additional 45 minutes or until squash is tender.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION