at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Hiking Through Bliss


Last weekend we discovered that part of the North Country Trail runs quite close to our family’s chalet we were staying at in northern Michigan.  Eager to check it out, we decided to do a little day hike.  We found a segment of trail that was 2.8 miles long, and decided if we went along that trial and back it would make for a nice day hike.  To get to the trailhead, we had to drive about 20 minutes from where we were staying, and into the township of Bliss.  Yes.  Bliss, MI.  They must call it that because of the beautiful natural landscape, as there’s really nothing else in the town (I think we stopped at the only store/gas station on the way back).

It really was a perfect fall day for hiking.  Sun was shining.  Weather was warmish.  The smell of freshly fallen leaves filled the air.  The hiking ended up being a little more hilly than we anticipated, though, so we were in need of a good break by the time we got to the end of the trail segment and before heading back.  We knew that Lake Michigan was nearby, because we could see it off in the distance as we were walking.  But I was quite surprised to discover as we got to the end of the trail, that it dumped us out right at the lakeshore!  Needless today, we enjoyed a nice break at the beach before heading back.



I’ve been going up to the Petoskey/Harbor Springs area for vacations since I was a kid.  I can’t believe I never knew that the North Country Trail was so close!  We will have to explore more next time, and perhaps try the opposite direction. 

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION