at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Pizza Night!

Fridays have become pizza nights.  Make that, homemade pizza nights!  I always thought it would be fun to make my own pizza from scratch, but making the crust seemed like such a daunting task that I never tried….until recently, that is.  One of my friends gave me her pizza crust recipe and showed me just how simple it can be to make homemade pizza!  I’ve slightly adapted her recipe, and now this has become a staple.  Here’s how I make it:

Ingredients:
-          3 cups flour (sometimes I use half whole wheat)
-          1 cup warm water
-          1 packet of yeast
-          1 tsp. olive oil (plus extra to brush on crust)
-          1 tsp. salt
-          1 tsp. sugar
-          1 small jar of pizza sauce
-          2 cups of cheese (I like to use an Italian blend)
-          Garlic to taste
-          Whatever toppings you want!

Directions:
  1. Mix flour, water, yeast, olive oil, salt, and sugar in a bowl; knead together.
  2. Let dough sit for just a few minutes (it might turn out better if you actually let it rise; but I don’t and it still turns out fine!), then roll it out to whatever shape you want and place on a pizza stone or cookie sheet.
  3. If desired, brush extra olive oil around the edges of the crust, then sprinkle with garlic (or herbs) for a flavored crust!
  4. Spread pizza sauce over the crust dough, then sprinkle on cheese and desired toppings.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Voila!  Simple as that.  There are SO many variations, too…but we just did pepperoni and green peppers tonight.  Mmmm…and so much healthier than what you’d get from a restaurant.  Well, now that dinner has settled, I think it’s time for some BSG (Battle Star Galactica – yeah, I think we’re becoming addicted again).

**Update:  I've been continuing to make this recipe for a couple of years now, almost on a weekly basis.  I do usually let the dough rise for about an hour now, as it does turn out much better that way.  For a quicker option, I've been turning to the Thin Crust recipe I found.  And, as another alternative (which I need to make more often because it's yummy), try these Delicious Calzones.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION