at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Spinach Dip Wonton Appetizer

As I was making up a list of things I wanted to make for this year's Halloween party, I though about making these mini quiches that I made last year. They were a lot of work, though. One of my friends recommended a similar appetizer, but made with wonton wrappers. What a great idea! I looked up a few different recipes, and decided that a "spinach dip" sort of filling would be delicious. The recipe I found that was closest to what I wanted to do, was this one for Spinach and Artichoke Wontons from ThisGalCooks.com.




I decided that I didn't want to do artichokes for some reason -- I eat them in spinach artichoke dip, but I don't love them. Also, as I've mentioned before, I don't do mayo -- so I had to substitute that.  I also did a double-batch since I don't know how many we'll need for the party, and I wouldn't mind leftovers!  As usual, I didn't measure everything, but here's the rough recipe:


Ingredients:

- 2 packages of wonton wrappers
- 24oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 8oz cream cheese
- 5oz plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
- seasoned salt
- garlic powder


Directions:

Mix all ingredients besides the wontons in a large bowl. Add salt and garlic powder to taste, and be sure that everything is well combined. Push wonton wrappers into the bottoms of mini muffin tins.  It worked best for me if I kind of folded the corners in and pressed the wonton against the side of the muffin cup.  Bake wontons in the oven for 8-10 minutes at 325 degrees. Scoop filling into each wonton cup and bake for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until edges are browned.

These were really quite simple to make, but they took forever because I made a TON of them and I only have three mini muffin tins. There was lots of pulling in and out of the oven, also, since it's a multi-step baking process. I tried not to let mine get too brown, as I froze them and will be reheating them as an appetizer at our party. I reheated a few today to be sure it would work well -- just stick them in the oven at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes and they are ready to serve!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION