at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Cheese & Tomato Pasta Roll-Ups

I made up another new recipe for dinner tonight. I had several late season tomatoes sitting in my kitchen that were just begging to be made into some sort of sauce. At least, I think that's what I heard them saying. I thought of doing goat cheese ravioli made with wonton wrappers and putting a tomato sauce over them, but I ended up using all of my wonton wrappers on the Spinach Dip Wonton Appetizers. So, I decided to try a version of something I'd never done before: a lasagna noodle roll-up. I've seen lasagna roll-ups before, but have never tried them myself. But, I figured I could use the goat cheese in those, along with some of the tomato sauce and some Parmesan cheese, then just spoon more tomato sauce over top. I mistakenly told Tom that I was making "lasagna roll-ups" for dinner, and he was giving me the "where's the beef?" look as we were eating.  So, to set expectations more properly, I am calling these "Cheese & Tomato Pasta Roll-Ups". Below are the recipes I used to make the sauce and then the roll-ups.






Homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 3 cups of tomatoes, diced (I used several brandywines mixed with some yellow pear tomatoes)
  • 4 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup Swiss chard, stems and leaves diced (optional - I only added because I had some growing in my garden that I wanted to use)
  • 2 tsp. dried basil
  • 2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
  • Garlic powder and salt to taste
Directions:
Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan and add garlic, cooking for 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste. Let simmer for 20 minutes.  Sauce will be thin with some chunks of tomato remaining.


Cheese & Tomato Pasta Roll-Ups

Ingredients:
  • 8 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package directions
  • 2-3 cups of chunky tomato sauce
  • 4 oz goat cheese
  • 4 oz Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lay each
lasagna noodle out flat. Over each noodle, spread 1/2 oz of goat cheese. Spoon a little bit of pasta sauce over goat cheese (I tried to spoon out more of the tomato chunks to put here). Sprinkle a little bit of Parmesan cheese over top, then roll each noodle up tightly. Place rolled noodles into a baking dish (I used individual baking dishes and placed two roll-ups in each).  Spoon remaining tomato sauce over top of the roll-ups. Bake for 20 minutes, sprinkling any remaining Parmesan cheese over top at the end.





These did take a while to make, but they were good and I had enough for tomorrow's lunch, as well.  For tonight, I ended up serving these alongside the famed Garlic-Dill Twists (handily pulled from my freezer) and a salad. Dinner ingredients that were derived from my garden include: tomatoes, Swiss chard, rosemary and radishes.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION