at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

How to Use those Chive Blossoms Before they Reseed!


When we first moved into our house, I was excited, albeit surprised, to find chives growing underneath a pine tree in our front yard. As I was frantically trying to fill up the space that would become my perennial garden, I immediately transplanted them. They have grown happily there now for a number of years...until last year when the growing and spreading of said chives turned into more of an infestation than anything else! I removed several plants and transplanted others, but they are still a prevalent feature in my perennial garden and blooming with their little purple puffball blossoms right now. And so now is the time, friends. Now is the time to prevent further infestations. These beautiful flowers must be removed before they go to seed and threaten to overtake the world (or my backyard).

Fortunately, I recently realized that these flowers are edible. So, rather than simply cutting them off and throwing them away, I've been researching uses and ways to eat chive flowers. I've come up with a few really interesting ideas that I wanted to share!


1. Chive Flower Frittata

chive blossom flower frittata with asparagus radishes and goat cheese recipe

So, I've become a little obsessed with frittatas recently. It's a great way to use up some fresh produce, plus get protein into my breakfast, and usually have enough to last 2-3 days. And, they are pretty. This one got even prettier topped with whole chive flowers and paired with fresh spring vegetables.

Ingredients:
  • 8 eggs (I used farm-fresh from our CSA!)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 5 spears of asparagus, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 6 radishes, thinly sliced
  • 1/3 cup diced onions
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3 oz goat cheese
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped chives
  • 6-8 fresh chive blossoms
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Melt butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus, radishes, onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Beat eggs together with milk and season with salt and pepper. Add egg mixture to the skillet and stir to combine everything well. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until eggs are mostly set. Top with chives, crumbled goat cheese and chive blossoms. Transfer skillet to oven and broil on low for another 5 minutes or until top of frittata is fully set. Let cool for a couple of minutes, then cut and enjoy!

chive blossom flower frittata with asparagus radishes and goat cheese

2. Chive Blossom & Goat Cheese Grilled Pizza

grilled pizza goat cheese pine nuts chive flowers

This was delicious! I actually used my basic boule bread dough from my Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book for this pizza -- which turned out fluffier than my normal thin crust grilled pizzas. It was harder to work with on the grill, though, so until I master that, I will recommend either looking up directions from the authors of that book, or using my traditional grilled pizza method.

For this pizza, I brushed with olive oil and Italian herbs, then sprinkled on the following:

  • Goat Cheese
  • Mozzarella
  • Caramelized Onions
  • Pine Nuts
  • Fresh Oregano
  • Fresh Chopped Chives
  • Fresh Garlic, Sliced
  • Fresh Rocket (Arugula)
  • Pine Nuts
  • Chive Blossoms

This time, I decided to break apart the chive blossoms into the little individual flowers. I think it makes the pizza looks o pretty and springy! What a great way to add freshness and beauty to a dish! Also, chive blossoms have a very strong taste if you eat them fresh and whole, and this helps break up the flavor, too, so it's not so intense. I absolutely loved this pizza and will keep this in mind as a way to use of more of this year's blossoms!

3. Chive Blossom Vinegar

chive flower blossom vinegar


Thanks to Pinterest, I discovered that you can make a really beautiful and flavor-infused vinegar with chive blossoms. I still have to look up the uses for the then onion-y vinegar, but I'm thinking it would make a great dressing and be good in marinades, etc. Over time, the vinegar draws out the color from the flowers and turns a bright pink! Check out this tutorial to learn how to do it.

4. Tempura-Style Fried Chive Blossoms

Tempura Chive Blossoms and Sriracha Noodle Bowl
Oh. My. Goodness. These were amazing -- like little deep-fried puffballs of deliciousness! The deep-frying takes care of that intense flavor and of course the tempura batter makes them the best appetizer or side to go along with an Asian themed dinner. I served them along with my Sriracha Ramen Noodle Bowl (slightly modified with a fried egg on top). I just dipped these little guys in a mixture of soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Yum. Possibly my new favorite way to use up Chive Blossoms! Click here to get the recipe I used.

So there you have it! Some great ways to use up those chive blossoms and prevent their spread. Enjoy them in your garden, then enjoy them in your next meal!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION