at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Fall Gardening & Yellow Salsa

My best Brandywine tomato of the year - just harvested!
Now that it's fall, I feel like my garden should be winding down; but, in fact, I have quite a bit still coming in. In part, this is due to the fact that my tomatoes did not begin to ripen until very late in the season. I've finally gotten some of my brandywines, which are very delicious, though few in number. The yellow pear tomatoes have not slowed down their production at all over the past month.  I finally decided that I needed to do something with them, because I had so many piling up.  I decided to try making a "Yellow Salsa" today, although with the addition of cilantro and some chile peppers, it ended up more green.  Here's the rough recipe:




Ingredients:
Green salsa, stuffed peppers & cheese
sauce = DINNER!


- 5 cups yellow pear tomatoes
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 2 small jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic & Cumin to taste

Directions:
You may have to vary this depending on your own kitchen equipment, but I actually just tossed everything in a big metal mixing bowl and used my "magic wand" -- it's a Ninja handheld blender -- to blend it all together. You could combine in a blender or food processor. Process until all large chunks are gone. Simple as that



I have a few other garden vegetables that I'd like to use in a recipe soon.  I've been digging up more carrots, and I have a few potatoes that I'd like to combine this week to make some sort of vegetable soup. I also have mass quantities of tarragon that I might add to the soup, and a second bunch of parsley that is growing.

My green beans have been coming in strong. I think they are finally on their last leg, but several plants are still producing. The radishes are taking a little longer than advertised, but I imagine they'll be ready by mid-October.





I also have lots more gourds coming in -- more everyday! Most of them are teeny tiny ones -- which will make great fall decor. I have one larger pumpkin that I harvested today, as the vine died -- it's still a very small pumpkin, but not as miniature as the others.


My perennial garden is looking better this fall, too. The mums I planted a couple of years ago are growing bigger and they are already blooming, along with the sedum.  I had lots of clean up to do in the perennial garden, which I need to remember to do more frequently. Just getting rid of some of the dead stalks as they go really makes it look prettier! I decided I should plant some of my marigolds in here next year, as they also remain blooming in the fall.





Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION