at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Spring Flowers and Planting

I have been thoroughly enjoying the mild March we’ve had this year.  I say mild, but what I really mean is HOT!  Not only has it not been cold, but we had a couple of weeks of 70-80 degree temperatures.  That’s weather we’re lucky to get in July!  Needless to say, I’ve spent some time in my garden, and I’ve captured some photos for your viewing pleasure.

My perennial garden is starting to grow, with tulips and daffodils blossoming.  Also peeking through the ground are irises, salvia, hostas, black-eyed susans, delphinium, phlox, chives, creeping thyme...and probably some things I'm forgetting.  Here’s my first set of early bloomers:



Daffodils!  The first to bloom.
This is a type of low growing tulip -- I love these!!
The red tulips are the first to bloom. I should have purple ones later!
  
Because of the crazy weather, I actually had to weed this area once already this year!  I decided that I needed to put an end to early weeding, so I put down some mulch last weekend.  Here’s how the garden looks right now:
Perennial garden - as of March 25, 2012

I’ve also been working on the vegetable garden a bit.  I had ordered some asparagus crowns in the mail, and those came in, so they are now planted.  Apparently asparagus planting requires digging trenches.  So, here are my trenches that will slowly be filled in with dirt as the asparagus grows:


Unfortunately, I won't be able to harvest any asparagus until at least next year.

I also have peas and carrots starting to sprout.  I planted a second round of each of those, as well.  My greens are planted (lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard) – Round 1, anyways, and I have some marigold seedlings started!  My indoor seed starting, on the other hand, is off to a slow start.  I only have a couple of tomato and pepper seedlings so far.  We’ll see how that goes….


The warm weather also spurred our trees to flower, and I think they are simply beautiful.  Here are my favorite trees in our backyard:





That’s it for now.  I’ll report back when I have any noteworthy gardening news!




Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION