at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Fried Rice

My family has always enjoyed eating Chinese food, and it often made up our Sunday lunches.  For special occasions, we enjoyed something a little different: Japanese Steak Houses – Benihana, in particular.  My brother still likes to celebrate his birthday there every year!  One thing that our favorite Chinese restaurant and Benihana have in common is delicious fried rice.  I think I like the fried rice at Benihana best because it’s made right there in front of you on the hibachi grill, and it is served steaming hot.  I have watched them make it many times and have tried to replicate the recipe at home – but it never tastes quite the same.  I’ve come to the conclusion that it must be the hibachi grill that gives Benihana’s rice the extra flavor I can’t seem to get at home!  Nevertheless, I do still enjoy my homemade fried rice, either as a side dish or as a meal.  I like to make a large batch, so I can have leftovers for lunch the next couple days.  Yum! 

Give it a try, and if you figure out Benihana’s secret, let me know :)

Ingredients:
-          2 cups rice, uncooked
-          1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast (optional)
-          ½ cup celery, finely chopped
-          ½ cup carrots, finely chopped
-          ½ cup onion, finely chopped
-          3 eggs
-          2 Tbsp. butter
-          1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
-          1 Tbsp. soy sauce (more or less to taste)
-          Salt
-          Pepper


Directions:

  1. Cook rice according to package directions.  I like to use brown rice for added nutrition!
  2. If you want to make chicken fried rice, cut chicken into very small pieces and fry with a little bit of vegetable oil until fully cooked; set aside.

  1. In a large wok, sauté vegetables in butter until tender; season with salt and pepper to taste.

  1. Scramble eggs and cook in a frying pan until just done; break eggs into small pieces.
  2. Add rice, chicken, eggs, vegetable oil and soy sauce to wok; stir until well combined and stir fry for a few minutes over medium heat.  Add extra salt and pepper if desired.  Sometimes I add a hint of garlic or ginger, too – but go easy: this is the one dish I make that does not taste as good if you add much additional spices or seasonings.


Enjoy!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION