|Tom’s third visit to my house – we had a fun bowling outing.|
- The weekend after we met, Tom showed up at my school’s basketball game and watched me cheer (as a flyer, no less) – and totally freaked my mom out because she spotted him and had no idea he was going to be there (he lived in Ohio, remember?)
- Tom visited a few times and we became pretty good friends
Everyone loves the Big Boy!
- Our friendship grew and we began making more frequent visits to see each other
- We had several fun outings together, including Paintball (where I met some of Tom’s good friends for the first time), Cedar Point, and a couple concerts
|Our first Christmas as a couple|
- We got into rock climbing for a while, which was great fun…even climbed outdoors at “Grand Ledge”
- I went on my first vacation with Tom’s family (to Florida) for spring break and experienced my first Manistee camping trip with some great friends; we also went to Steamboat Springs, CO to ski with my dad
- I (ironically) went to Cedarville University for a year, and we did the long-distance thing
Goofing around on the playground at Petoskey State Park
- I finished my first year of college and transferred to Grand Valley State University in the fall of 2004; Tom also moved out to Grand Rapids to live with friends there
- It was a season of adjustment, new city, new college, new friends
- We spent many-a late night in the guys’ apartment watching episodes of Firefly and Roswell w/ friends
- Tom’s niece, Kayla, was born
- We took a trip to Florida, a trip up north to my family’s chalet, and a trip to Manistee
- 2004 marked our first annual Halloween party!
|President’s Ball at GVSU; I salvaged my prom dress from 10th grade!|
- We did have some fun, and took several trips, including Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and Florida with Tom’s family, and of course our yearly camping trip to Manistee
|Colorado Ski Trip – we had such an eclectic group; it was great fun!|
- We drove out to Colorado with friends at the start of the year, and met some other friends and my dad out there to go skiing
- We went to Florida again with Tom’s family, and spent a lot of time in Manistee over summer
- I graduated college in August and started my first real job (which I’m still at!); Tom started working an IT job at a local school district
- Tom and I spent an interesting weekend in Frankenmuth– it was fun, but very…Bavarian.
- On New Year’s Eve, 2006, Tom proposed to me. My response: “Oh my gosh, are you serious?!”
- We got married at our church, and Tom picked out our reception location: Fredrik Meijer Gardens – it was beautiful and was a wonderful ceremony to kick off our marriage and next chapter in life together
- We moved out to Hudsonville, MI and rented a townhouse – it really was a great spot
- Our honeymoon was in Riviera Maya, Mexico – we also did trips to Manistee, the family chalet, my first backpacking trip (I think), and an awesome ski trip in Quebec
|On the outskirts of Tegucigalpa, Honduras|
- In 2008, we spent a good portion of time preparing for and going on a missions trip to Honduras – we built a playground, had a medical team there, ran carnivals for the kids, and even hooked up with some of my family there! It’s a beautiful country, and I’m glad that Tom was able to see it, and it was very neat to serve the Lord together down there.
- We had our yearly trip to Manistee, and backpacking trips to North Manitou Island and the Manistee River Trail
- We also had our annual Halloween party – I had my most creative costume to date: I was a piñata…Tom was the birthday boy with a stick!
- Tom took a new job for a local university, and decided to go back to school himself and finish his college degree
- After Christmas, Tom and I spent a week in Lover’s Key, FL and really enjoyed all of the natural beaches and wildlife (manatees!)
|Cherohala Skyway -- North Carolina|
- 2009 was the year of the houses. We house shopped for 8 or 9 months, bid on 7 different houses, and finally got one in September! We really enjoy the neighborhood and area where we ended up!
- Over the summer, Tom bought a motorcycle (he’d ridden in the past, but took several years off) – less than a week after buying it, we took it to North Carolina to visit my mom and stepdad – they have a Harley, and we were able to take some beautiful rides together out there
- We backpacked the Hoist Lakes and Manistee River trails
- Our nephew, Trey was born
- We also took one of our most amazing vacations: Maui – it was beautiful, and I’d love to go back someday! Totally worth the plane flight!
|Manistee, MI – our yearly summer vacation destination|
-I learned to garden and Tom learned to tile, in addition to many, many home maintenance and repair tasks
-We had some house guests over the summer, including a good friend of ours while he took a class at GVSU, and also my mom and stepdad for a few weeks after they decided to move back to MI and were trying to figure out where their jobs would land them – it was a busy house, but a lot of fun!
Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Happy Gilmore. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!