at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Taco Night!

I make tacos differently than most people. My grandmother is from Honduras, and her mother was from Belize – and I believe this method of preparation originally came from my great-grandmother. It mostly has to do with the taco shells. I do not buy pre-formed shells – and once you try making your own, you never will, either! I do, however, buy the tortillas, as I have not yet gotten a tortilla recipe from my grandma (hint, hint!).

Here’s how it goes:

Ingredients:
Ground Beef
White corn tortillas
Vegetable Oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Whatever toppings you want!


Step 1: Brown some ground beef in a pan on the stove. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic – NOT “taco seasoning”! Don’t get me wrong, I like taco seasoning. Just not in tacos.


Step 2: Heat some vegetable oil over medium heat in a very small frying pan (you will be deep frying these taco shells, so make sure you put in a decent amount!). *Caution! Oil will be very hot and may splatter – please be careful, and do not burn yourself!

Step 3: This step involves what my mom calls “the finagling of the forks” to bend the tortilla into the shape of a taco shell, and carefully dip one side in the oil. Fry for a minute, then flip to the other side. Depending on the temperature of your oil, the shells should come out somewhere between chewy and overly crunchy – adjust your heat accordingly. Allow taco shells to “drain” on a couple sheets of paper towel.


Step 4: Fill taco shells with meat and whatever toppings you want! We usually add cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION