at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Grilled Chicken, Strawberries & Apricots with Balsamic Glaze


So, I have this thing where I'm not a big fan of cooked fruit. At least, I have claimed that as my basis for not liking most pies. Now, I've come to enjoy berry pies (especially when they include fresh berries), and I've always liked blueberry muffins. But recently, I've been getting into more cooked fruit. Specifically: grilled fruit. I've made grilled pineapple several times recently, serving it on hamburgers, alongside pork, or atop tacos. I've also found it's delicious refrigerated and eaten the next day! So, I decided to branch out a bit further. Through strawberry picking, store sales and our CSA, I have a plethora of strawberries on hand. And, I had a bag of these delicious apricots, which will not stay good for very long. So, when I saw a photo on Pinterest of grilled fruit with balsamic glaze, I was in. The recipe I saw called for peaches and watermelon to go with the strawberries, but I chose what I had on hand. I skewered the fruits and grilled them alongside some chicken (ahem, sorry, Tom grilled them for me -- thanks, Tom!).  Add a little balsamic glaze and some herbs and you have yourself a tasty summery dinner.

Ingredients:

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 12 Strawberries, hulled
  • 6 Apricots, pitted and sliced in half
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. green onions, diced
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
  • Parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions:
  1. Preheat grill, then add chicken and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F (digital meat thermometers are your friend! They really help prevent over cooking).
  2. While chicken is cooking, add strawberries and apricots to wooden skewers, alternating them.
  3. Heat balsamic vinegar in a small sauce pan over medium heat until it begins to simmer. Watch closely and stir occasionally while it simmers and remove from heat once it has visibly begun to thicken.
  4. Add fruit skewers to the grill and cook for a few minutes, then rotate and cook for a few more minutes.
  5. Arrange cooked chicken and fruit on a plate. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, then sprinkle on green onions, basil and, if desired, Parmesan cheese.


 I served this with a side of sauteed snow peas -- my garden is going nuts! The Parmesan didn't really seem to add that much to the dish, so I think it could easily be omitted if you want to avoid dairy. The fruits were very soft and almost made for a sort of sauce for the chicken. This was a sort of last minute idea and didn't take long to pull off. It's great for a healthful, summery meal without a lot of effort! If you try it, let me know what you think!  I'm planning on using some of the leftover grilled fruit on a salad -- maybe with some leftover chicken. It was good hot, and I bet it will be good cold, too!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION