at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Pomegranate Cranberry Craze - Three Holiday Recipes

With Thanksgiving this past week and Christmas around the corner, I've been in a festive mood lately.  We didn't travel over the holiday weekend so it allowed me the chance to have some good downtime and also do some experimenting in the kitchen!  I've been spending [too much] time getting ideas from Pinterest, and I came across this recipe for Cranberry and Pomegranate Bruschetta, which I decided to adapt...and use at least three different ways!  All of these make would make a great addition to a Thanksgiving or Christmas gathering and will add some festive holiday cheer!

We'll start with the primary recipe.


Pomegranate Cranberry Crostini


Pomegranate Cranberry Crostini with Herbed Goat Cheese - Holiday Christmas / Thanksgiving Recipe




Ingredients: 

  • 2 pomegranates
  • 12oz fresh cranberries
  • 1 orange - zest plus 1 Tbsp. juice
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme)
  • 12 oz goat cheese
  • 2 baguettes
  • Garlic powder
  • Olive oil
  • Salt

Directions:

Seed the pomegranates any way you like (I'm still new to this and haven't determined the best method!) and place the arils (seeds) in a large bowl.  In a food processor, chop cranberries coarsely and add to bowl. Add orange zest, orange juice and 1 Tbps. fresh chopped sage, rosemary and thyme. I heavied up on the sage and rosemary. Mix until well combined.


In a small bowl, combine goat cheese and remaining fresh chopped herbs. Season to taste with garlic powder and salt.


Slice baguettes into 1/2" slices and place in a single layer on cookie sheets. Brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. Cook at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.


To serve, spread a crostini with a layer of goat cheese and top with Pomegranate Cranberry "bruschetta".


I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but I really liked it! I ended up bringing it over for our family gathering on Thanksgiving and it went over quite well.  The flavors all go really well together and the colors and flavors are reminiscent of the holiday season. I did this for Thanksgiving with the intention of repeating at Christmas if it was good.  I think I will be making this again soon.  The leftover bruschetta mixture works great in other recipes, too!



Pomegranate Cranberry Chicken 

The recipe made a lot of the pomegranate cranberry "bruschetta" topping, and, inspired by the original post, I decided to try using it a couple of different ways. The day after Thanksgiving, we decided last minute to have some friends over for dinner. I decided to do a baked orange-herb chicken with an optional Pomegranate Cranberry "relish" for the top.



pomegranate cranberry chicken - festive holiday recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas



Ingredients:

  • 1.25 lbs chicken breast tenders
  • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary and thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup Pomegranate Cranberry relish (as made above)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Arrange chicken in a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. Pour orange juice over top of chicken. Sprinkle with herbs and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Spoon Pomegranate Cranberry relish over the top of each piece before serving.


I ended up serving this with rice; a salad with apples, berries and walnuts; and croissants (I had some leftover ingredients from making a post-Thanksgiving Croissant French Toast breakfast - yum!).  I thought it all went well together.  You could also serve the chicken with a side of pasta or potatoes -- either just tossed with butter/olive oil and herbs would be good.  This was a great way to use some of the leftover "bruschetta".


Pomegranate Cranberry Gin-tini


And, finally, you can't forget the drinks!  I've been wanting to try a few holiday cocktail ideas and thought this pomegranate cranberry mixture I had would make a great gin cocktail / martini.

Pomegranate Cranberry gin martini cocktail recipe - festive drink for holidays or Christmas

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup Pomegranate Cranberry "bruschetta", as made above
  • 2 oz botanical gin (I used a locally produced gin: R-M-D from Artesian Distillers)
  • 4-6 oz tonic water (I used Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic water)
  • Fresh cranberries and rosemary sprig for garnish

Directions:

Muddle pomegranate cranberry mixture in the bottom of a shaker.  You want it to be juicy! Add gin and shake over ice for 30 seconds. Strain into a martini glass and add tonic water. Garnish with fresh cranberries and a sprig of rosemary.

I wasn't sure how it would turn out or if the herbs would be over powering.  I LOVED it. Granted, I'm a big gin fan anyways, but this was a flavorful cocktail with the subdued herbals and was definitely redolent of Christmas!  This would be a fun, festive drink to serve at a holiday gathering for sure.

So there you have it: three great holiday recipes based on this Pomegranate Cranberry bruschetta mixture!  I'm going for number 4 now -- leftover chicken sandwich on a croissant with goat cheese and "bruschetta".  Yum!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION