at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Wisdom to Live By - 31 Proverbs for 31 Years


31! Starting to look my age?
Last year I did a blog post for my 30th birthday with 30 life lessons that I'd learned through life thus far. This year, for 31, I wanted to share a collection of wise sayings, or proverbs, that I've been studying. Proverbs are like little nuggets of wisdom, and I think committing them to memory can help you to stay on course and make the right decisions in the heat of the moment or in a season of trial. Proverbs, the book in the Bible, has 31 chapters so I thought it would be perfect to pick one proverb from each chapter. However, I found a number of my favorites congregated in a few chapters. So, instead, I will share 31 proverbs that I've been focusing on and that I want to have ingrained into my way of living. 


1. Such are the paths of all who go after ill-gotten gain; it takes away the life of those who get it. (Proverbs 1:19)

2. For the waywardness of the simple will kill them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them. (Proverbs 1:32)


3. Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared. (Proverbs 3:26)


4. Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. (Proverbs 3:27)


5. Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. (Proverbs 4:23)


6. Instruct a wise man and he will be wiser still; teach a righteous man and he will add to his learning. (Proverbs 9:9)


7. When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. (Proverbs 10:19)


8. A kindhearted woman gains respect, but ruthless men gain only wealth. (Proverbs 11:16)


9. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed. (Proverbs 11:25)


10. A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones. (Proverbs 12:4)


11. A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel. (Proverbs 12:10)


12. A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult. (Proverbs 12:16)


13. Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. (Proverbs 12:18)


14. A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones. (Proverbs 14:30)


15. A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. (Proverbs 15:1)


16. Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. (Proverbs 15:22)


17. There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death. (Proverbs 16:25)


18. The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold, but the LORD tests the heart. (Proverbs 17:3)


19. Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. (Proverbs 18:2)


20. To answer before listening -- that is folly and shame. (Proverbs 18:13)


21. The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out. (Proverbs 18:15)


22. The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forth to question him. (Proverbs 18:17)


23. It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way. (Proverbs 19:2)


24. The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out. (Proverbs 20:5)


25. It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings. (Proverbs 25:2)


26. As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)


27. As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart. (Proverbs 27:19)


28. The rich are wise in their own eyes; one who is poor and discerning sees how deluded they are. (Proverbs 28:11)


29. Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)


30. Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. (Proverbs 29:25)


31. Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. (Proverbs 31:8)


There you have it. 31 wise sayings to live by, and I'm hoping I can learn to employ these at little better each year of my life. How about you?  Do you have a favorite wise saying or one that you have committed to memory? Please share in the comments!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION