at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Two Twisted Taco Recipes

I love tacos. That's no secret. But I've been branching out recently and have tried some new variations on this household favorite...including one for breakfast and one with an Asian flair! I was dreaming of a delicious Saturday morning breakfast and taking into account the ingredients I had on hand (including a green pepper that really needed to be used up) and I thought I'd do a take on heuvos rancheros.  I've done something similar before, but never recorded what I put in it!



Ingredients:
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • 1/4 cup diced green pepper
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1/3 cup Colby Jack cheese
  • olive oil
  • Fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
Directions:
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onions and cook until they begin to brown slightly. Add in eggs, salsa and cheese.  Cook until eggs are set, stirring frequently. Wrap tortillas up in a damp towel and microwave for 90 seconds or until soft and steamy.  Double up on the tortillas and scoop a bit of the egg mixture in the center of each tortilla set. Sprinkle fresh cilantro on tip, if desired. Fold and enjoy a delicious and easy breakfast!

-------------------------------------------------------

This next recipe was made a while ago, so I have to rack my brain for how I did this! Also, being that I don't measure most things while I cook (tisk, tisk), apologies if the proportions are slightly off (hey, isn't that the joy of cooking? Just adjust any ingredient to your own taste!)  I had made some Chicken Teriyaki in my Crock Pot and it turned out a little overdone -- in that the vegetables (which I added to the recipe) turned to mush and all we could really eat was a pile of shredded meat. We had leftovers, and I didn't want it to go to waste -- and Asian tacos was something I'd been wanting to try. So, here's what I came up with!



Ingredients:
  • 1 cup shredded Chicken Teriyaki
  • 6 egg roll wrappers
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup shredded cabbage
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, minced
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2 tsp. sesame seeds
  • 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce

Directions: 
First, make the slaw: toss together cabbage, garlic, ginger, lime juice, cilantro, sesame seeds, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce until well combined. Cover and refrigerate. If you're using leftovers like I did, heat Chicken Teriyaki in a small saucepan over low heat. While the chicken is heating up, heat up vegetable oil in a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Carefully fold an egg roll wrapper in half and using the same finagling of the forks necessary for my regular taco recipe, bend egg roll wrapper in half again and fry each half in the oil until crispy. Set aside to drain on a plate covered with paper towel. Once all of the "shells" are fried, fill part way with Chicken Teriyaki and top with the Asian Slaw. Serve immediately. And, for best results, have a Moscow Mule to go with it!































I was really pleased with out these turned out! Definitely the better way to eat the Crock Pot Chicken Teriyaki. I actually made quite a bit of the Asian slaw and it makes a good side dish, as well!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION