at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Brew Blog: Schmohz Brewery


We did a little impromptu trip to Schmohz Brewery last weekend before heading over to our friends' house for dinner. I didn't actually know that this brewery was there. When we walked in, I had the immediate impression that I somehow walked through a time vortex straight back into the 1980s. I mean, really. Wood paneling, cement floors, drop ceiling, and tables and chairs that I swear are right out of the 80s. Not to mention the video games...but we'll get there. It had the feeling of an older person's place. Yes, I'm turning 30 this year, but Tom and I were definitely the youngest ones there. It's also the sort of place that puts a QR code on their website, if that gives you any sort of indication.  They didn't have a ton of beer to choose from, and I wasn't really in the mood to branch out and try something new. So, I opted for a soda. They make their own black cherry soda and root beer -- I decided to try the black cherry and it was delicious! It was very smooth and creamy and not terribly carbonated. Normally, I like a lot of carbonation, but this was good just the way it was. 



Tom tried two beers while we were there: Bonecrusher Stout and Zingiberene Ale. The Bonecrusher Stout he rated a 3, with the only commentary being "meh". It wasn't anything special. Now...the Zingiberene Ale...something was not quite right. It's supposed to be a really unique beer that uses ginger rather than hops. Only, there was no ginger flavor. In fact, there really was no flavor. Zero depth. It tasted more like water than anything else. Others had reviewed it on Untappd saying it tasted kind of like Vernor's with the ginger kick. It is supposed to be a lighter beer, but there is also supposed to be a ginger flavor that from our glass was completely absent. I'm not sure what happened. However, even after two strikes, Tom decided to fill up his growler there. He ended up getting the Treasure Chest ESB, which was actually quite good. Tom rated it 4 stars. It's not my normal type of beer, but I thought it was pretty good, too. 

While not my favorite place in terms of decor and ambiance, and not my favorite beer, there are a few other perks to Schmohz besides the delicious sodas. Firstly, they have free popcorn. Always a major bonus in my book. Secondly, they have some cool old school arcade games, including Ms. Pac-Man and Pinball. Apparently, their pinball machine is from 1994 -- there's a whole page about it on their website. So, perhaps I was a bit off on my date. At any rate, I scrounged around through my purse and wallet and came up with a good stack of quarters, so I challenged Tom to a game of Ms. Pac-Man. This was always one of my favorites, but apparently I'm not very good at it anymore. It was still fun, though! We also played a couple games of pinball, which was also one of my favorite arcade games back in the day. So, all in all, we had a good time there, but I think I'll stick with the soda, popcorn and arcade!

arcade games at Schmohz Brewery in Grand Rapids



Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION