at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Turkey Pasta Skillet

I made up a new recipe tonight.  I think it was loosely based on a couple of recipes I'd heard of from friends and family.  Mostly, I was looking for a way to use up some ground turkey meat that I had in the refrigerator.  I ended up mixing it with bow tie pasta and a bunch of veggies for a stove-top, "skillet" sort of meal.  Here's the recipe:


I forgot to take a good picture while I was cooking, so here
it is in the tupperware container!
Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 lbs. lean, ground turkey
  • 1 box of bow tie pasta
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 1/2 of a purple onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 28oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of white beans
  • 3 cups of vegetable broth
  • Olive oil
  • Salt, pepper, garlic and basil to taste
Directions:
Brown turkey in a large skillet, and crumble.  Cook pasta according to package instructions; drain and add back to pot or large wok/skillet. Add cooked turkey to cook pasta, and add vegetable broth, white beans and canned tomatoes.  Saute vegetables in olive oil, until tender, then transfer to pot. Season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic and basil (I actually added seasoning to the meat and vegetables while cooking; then added more later). Stir until everything is well combined and broth is slightly reduced.


I wasn't sure how this would turn out, but I actually really liked it.  It was easy to make, and it made a TON of food.  We had enough for the two of us to have dinner tonight, one container for lunch tomorrow, and one 9x13 baking dish full that I'm going to test out as "freezer meal".  I'll try baking it later to reheat -- I actually added a larger portion of the vegetable broth to the pasta in the baking dish so that hopefully it won't dry out when I cook it in the oven.  I also realized that I could adapt this recipe and make a vegan version pretty easily by leaving out the turkey and maybe adding some extra beans.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION