at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Bruschetta Salad

 Tom has been on a bit of a health kick recently, and he has told me that he wants to start eating more healthfully.  Since I am usually the one cooking dinner, that meant I had to think through my usual menus and try to cut out some of the recipes that call for a lot of fatty foods -- like greasy Mexican dishes and cheese slathered everything.  The other night, I thought about making some bruschetta, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to put with it to make it a meal.  Then I had a thought: why not turn it into a salad?  So, I did.  Here's roughly what I ended up doing:

Bruschetta Salad Recipe
Ingredients:
Bruschetta salad and naan made an excellent light summer dinner!
  • Lettuce (I used green leaf lettuce)
  • Tomatoes, diced (I used yellow pear tomatoes from my garden, and some regular red tomatoes from the store)
  • Red onion, thinly sliced
  • Fresh basil, thinly sliced
  • Fresh mozzarella cheese balls, cut in small pieces
  • Pine nuts, toasted
  • Olive Oil
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Salt & Pepper
Directions:
Toss all of the vegetables together and top with fresh mozzarella, basil and pine nuts.  Drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar over top, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.


This really was a delicious salad!  I served it with some naan bread, which I just tried making the other night for the first time.  I still want to play with the recipe a little bit, but they turned out pretty good for my first try! Here's a link to the recipe I used. And, here are a few pictures from the naan-making process!



Rolling out the dough!

Fry each round of dough in a pan until it starts to bubble!


The finished product -- yum!!  I've been enjoying it warmed up with
butter & a bit of salt!



Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION