at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Valentine's Day Recipes


Valentine’s Day was this week.  Did you do anything fun to celebrate?  Tom doesn’t celebrate Valentine’s Day because he says it’s just a “Hallmark holiday”.  Me, I like any excuse to celebrate, and anything that provides extra inspiration for creativity in the kitchen.  So, this year I decided to play off the Valentine’s heart theme for dinner and dessert.  I started with a heart-shaped pizza.

Make the crust, then spread on the sauce...


With all toppings except the cheese (that comes part-way thru baking!)

Voila!
I used my basic home-made thin-crust pizza recipe and just shaped the crust like a heart.  I actually turned out pretty well!  I think this was probably easier than my regular pizza crust recipe would have been – because it might not have kept the shape as well with a thicker, airier crust.

For dessert, I decided on an ice cream pie.  Here’s the recipe:

Strawberry Ice Cream Pie

Ingredients:
- 1 package of graham crackers (as in, one of the three packages that come in a box), processed in food processor into fine crumbs
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 quart of strawberry ice cream, slightly melted
- 4oz cool whip, thawed
- Strawberries, hulled and cut in half, lengthwise

Directions:
Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in a pie tin; press to form a crust along bottom and sides of tin.  Place the pie tin in the freezer for 15 minutes or until crust is set.  

Spread ice cream evenly over the crust.  It will need to be somewhat melty in order to do this.  Place back in freezer for another 15 minutes or until ice cream is re-frozen.  


Spread whipped cream over ice cream layer, then top with halved strawberries.  I decided to do mine in a heart shape for the occasion!



Well, that’s about all we did for Valentine’s Day.  But…I do still have some ice cream pie left.  I think I’m going to go get a slice.  Right now.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION