at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Kung Pao Chicken

I have been trying to get this recipe right for some time now.  Kung Pao Chicken is my favorite dish to order at a Chinese restaurant, and I still dream of the amazing Kung Pao at the restaurant we used to frequent in my home town.  Without a decent Chinese restaurant in our area now, I’ve been attempting some recipes at home.  But, somehow, Chinese food never turns out with quite the right flavor when I try to make it.  I’m afraid that I’m about as close as I’ll ever be with this recipe…and, of course, I didn’t measure out the ingredients as I added them.  Nevertheless, here’s a rough recipe for my latest attempt at Kung Pao Chicken.



Ingredients:
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- Roasted peanuts
- Green bell pepper, chopped
- White or yellow onion, diced
- Green onion, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- Soy sauce
- Sesame seed oil
- Crushed red pepper flakes (add to desired spiciness)
- Ground black pepper
- Garlic
- Chinese five spice powder (just the tiniest pinch…that stuff is potent!)

Directions:
Heat vegetable oil in skillet.  Add chicken and peanuts and cook over medium-high heat.  While chicken is cooking, add a few dashes of soy sauce, a drizzle of sesame seed oil and spices.  Once chicken begins to brown, add a bit more oil along with bell pepper and onions.  Cook until vegetables are just tender.  Serve with a side of white or fried rice.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION