at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Thin Crust Pizza

I tried something new last week: thin crust pizza.  I’ve been making my regular pizza recipe regularly for probably about a year now.  It’s great – but sometimes I just feel like a thin crust – I think it pairs especially well with pesto, olive oil or white sauces (which happen to be my favorites!).  I finally decided to do some research and try to find a good recipe.  And…success!  I found a recipe from TheKitchn.com that I pretty much followed exactly as stated.  The recipe makes two mini pizzas, which worked out great for us.  It’s really not much different from my regular pizza crust recipe, either.  Here’s the summary, but be sure to check the original recipe post for more details and tips:

Ingredients:
¾ cups water
½ tsp. yeast
2 cups flour
½ tsp. salt

Directions:
1. Preheat oven and pizza stone at 500 degrees.
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine flour and salt in a large mixing bowl; then add yeast mixture.

 
3. Mix until well combined, then knead until the dough is smooth (it really didn’t take very long).
4. Divide dough in half and place each half on a piece of parchment paper.  Use a rolling pin to roll out each piece of dough to about 1/4 inch thick or less (I think mine was closer to 1/8).


5. Top each pizza with sauce and desired toppings, except cheese.


6. Place pizzas on preheated pizza stones and bake for 5 minutes.


7. Rotate pizzas 180 degrees and bake for 3 more minutes.
8. Sprinkle cheese on top of the pizzas and bake for a final 3 minutes.  Let cool for a few minutes on a wire rack -- these suckers come out HOT!


These turned out great!  I could not believe how well the crust turned out for my first try.  The cooking times were perfect - the crust was done but not over done. It was also nice that it made two small pizzas, because I was able to make one with my favorite toppings (pesto sauce, tomatoes and red onions) and one with Tom’s favorite toppings (pepperoni, green pepper and jalapeno).  I highly recommend giving this recipe a try, and I know I’ll be making it again soon.  However, I’m trying something new again this week: Calzones!  I’ll let you know how they turn out…

**This recipe was sourced from Emma Christensen's post on TheKitchn.com

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION