at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

White Turkey Chili

I love making and eating chili, especially on a cold or rainy day.  I have several variations that I make, but I think the only one I’ve shared with you so far is the HUGE batch of mild chili that I made for our Halloween Party.  One of my more a-typical chili variations is a “white” chili, made without tomatoes or chili powder.  I know what you die-hard chili fans are thinking right now…BLASPHEMY!  How can it be chili without tomatoes or chili powder?  Well, I’m not exactly sure…but it does have the same general ingredients and incorporates green chiles – so that ought to count for something.  Regardless of the nomenclature, this recipe has become part of my regular dinner rotation and has a truly unique taste.  I adapted this from the White Chili with Ground Turkey recipe I found on Allrecipes.com.  They mentioned there, and I will tell you here…there is a secret ingredient that sounds odd and you may be tempted to leave out: don’t.  The secret ingredient is cinnamon and it combines so well with the cumin and other flavors that, in my opinion, it is an essential part of this dish.  I know it sounds weird, but trust me on this one.  Here’s how I make it:

Ingredients:

1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 cans white beans (great northern / navy beans)
2 small cans diced green chiles
1 can chicken broth (or just water actually works, too)
Garlic powder
Cumin
Ground black pepper
Cinnamon

Directions:

Cook ground turkey in a large pot over medium heat until no longer pink.  Add remaining ingredients to pot.  Season to taste (I like LOTS of flavor, so I tend to put in far more than most people would).  Just a few dashes of cinnamon will do, but don’t forget to put it in!  Bring chili back to a simmer, and then reduce heat slightly.  Allow chili to simmer for 30 minutes before serving.  Garnish with cheese and cilantro, if desired.  Voila!  Simple and delicious.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION