at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

These are a few of my favorite things



This week, I turned 34. It's hard to believe how quickly the years are starting to go by. One of the challenges I find in life is to not get bogged down by negativity. I've been talking with a couple of friends recently about recapturing joy and focusing on the simple things in life. I've said before that the little things are important, and taking the time to notice and appreciate all of the little joys and gifts in this life can go a long way to change your attitude and reframe your thinking. In fact, the Bible even tells us to focus on the positive. Right after giving instruction on dealing with worry and anxiety, God instructs us to set our minds upon the on the good things in life:
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." -Philippians 4:6
It is in that light that I am going to share, for my 34th birthday, 34 of my favorite things - many of them everyday things that bring me joy and make me smile. Peruse through my list, then tell me what makes YOU smile!


1. A clear starry night



2. The smell of burning leaves or campfires

3. The first flowers of spring


4. Snuggles with Tom and Copper

5. Learning something new

6. Popcorn

7. Playing games

8. Getting to know a person on a deeper level

9. Fresh cut flowers


10. Shooting stars


11. Growing things 


12. A slightly cool day warmed by sunshine 



13. Finding comfortable clothes that look cute



14. The smell of tomato plants


15. My goofball dog


16. A bright blue sky with puffy white clouds


17. A good whiskey drink



18. The farmer’s market

19. Cooking from scratch



20. A clean and organized home


21. Traveling to new places

22. A song that hits me right in my mood

23. Teaching Copper new tricks


24. Feeding people


25. Spreadsheets



26. Mountaintop views



27. Completing a challenging task I didn’t think I could do


28. Quality conversations about topics that really matter or just speculations about what could be

29. Staying up late with friends


30. Inside jokes that last a lifetime

31. Sheeps!



32. Solving a problem or puzzle

33. Peppermint mochas and chai tea lattes



34. Warm blankets and scarves



These are just a few of my favorite things! What are yours? What did you take notice of today that made you smile? 

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION