at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Book Review: The Watchers - Knight of Light

*Note: I received a copy of this book for free in exchange for a honest review with my own personal opinions.


Knight of Light is the first book in The Watchers series by Deirdra Eden.  The story is set in the middle ages in England and follows the life of a young woman named Auriella (pronounced yurr-ee-ella) after she is orphaned and forced to flee her village as she is accused of being a witch. A witch she certainly is not, but she does encounter one -- along with a pixie and a dwarf, fairies, Shadow Lords and Shadow wolves. A mix of earth, fantasy and the spiritual world meld together in this novel that is full of excitement, action and suspense.

The story is fast paced -- actually to the point where I wished it slowed down at some points. Auriella moves from setting to setting as she uncovers her true identity. The story definitely kept my interest, but sometimes it seemed to jump ahead to the next thing too quickly, without much detail as to what happened during the gap in time or what happened to the other characters.  The main character is well developed, but I would have liked to see more character development on some of the supporting characters -- the story seemed to forget about them from time to time. 


That being said, it was still a good story and it was a quick and easy read. I think it would be a great novel for young adults, especially pre-teen and early teenage girls. While I wasn't much of a fantasy reader at that age, I think I would have enjoyed this book. The quicker pace and the frequent change of settings is probably better suited for a younger audience anyways, lest they get bored :)  It definitely has a fairy tale feel to it, and I think Auriella is a character that most girls can relate to on one level or another.

It looks like this will be the first of a six part series with Book Three coming out sometime this year. Knight of Light definitely leaves open lots of questions and leaves the reader intrigued as to what's to come.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION