at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Cast-Iron Skillet Blueberry Cobbler

This post may surprise some of you who know that I am not typically a fan of cooked fruit. However, after some conversations about Blueberry Cobbler at work last week, I decided I wanted to give it a try.  I had made a Blackberry Cobbler once before after picking fresh wild blackberries with my mom in North Carolina. I thought that tasted pretty good. And, I do like blueberry muffins. Plus, I reasoned, Tom will probably like it, and if all else fails, I'll be serving it with vanilla ice cream that I KNOW I like.



I went searching for recipes online, trying to decide which one sounded the best. Eventually, I came across one that called for baking it in a cast-iron skillet. Being a relatively new owner of a cast-iron skillet, and not yet having used it for baking, I decided this would be a great opportunity. Click here to view the original recipe. I had to adapt it to simplify it a bit and took out some of the more unusual ingredients. The recipe called for dried lavender and fresh vanilla bean, neither of which I had handy or knew where to find. Anyone happen to have dried lavender on hand? I sure didn't. Though, I admit, I did do a brief perusal at the grocery store to see if I could find any...I would have been willing to try it. So, with some slight modifications, here's the recipe I came up with:

Ingredients:

  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup, plus 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • Juice from 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups blueberries (I used frozen)


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place butter in a cast-iron skillet and set in the oven to melt the butter. Mix blueberries and 1 Tbsp. sugar in a small bowl. Set aside. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Add in milk, 1 cup of sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir until well combined. Add batter to the skillet. Sprinkle blueberries over top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.


I thought this turned out really good -- especially for being one that doesn't normally like this sort of thing -- and it was very simple to make. My favorite part is the outer edge, where it's extra buttery ;)  It is definitely best served warm, aside a scoop of good vanilla ice cream! Yum!



Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION