at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

My Favorite Poem

The following poem is one that I learned my first year of college, in my Literature class, I assume.  It immediately struck me and I have since deemed it my favorite poem--so, naturally I wanted to share it with you.  I think it is a beautiful literary expression of God's love for us and perhaps a glimpse into his reasons for allowing some hardships in our lives.  By allowing us to live in an imperfect world, God pulls us, who may easily have overlooked his goodness otherwise, toward himself.

The Pulley
By George Herbert

When God at first made Man,

Having a glass of blessings standing by—

Let us (said He) pour on him all we can;

Let the world's riches, which dispersed lie,

            Contract into a span.



So strength first made a way,

Then beauty flow'd, then wisdom, honour, pleasure:

When almost all was out, God made a stay,

Perceiving that, alone of all His treasure,

            Rest in the bottom lay.



For if I should (said He)

Bestow this jewel also on My creature,

He would adore My gifts instead of Me,

And rest in Nature, not the God of Nature:

            So both should losers be.



Yet let him keep the rest,

But keep them with repining restlessness;

Let him be rich and weary, that at least,

If goodness lead him not, yet weariness

            May toss him to My breast.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION