at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Three Ways to Use Chimichurri Sauce



I was introduced to chimichurri a number of years ago, and immediately loved it. At its core, it's a bright green sauce, made with herbs (typically parsley and oregano) , garlic, olive oil and red wine vinegar -- looking akin to a pesto. I don't make it often, but I should! There are so many variations you can do, depending on what herbs you have on hand, and it's very versatile, working as a wonderful way to bring extra flavor and kick to a dish. Nothing makes a meal better than the addition of fresh garden herbs!

I typically think of chimichurri as an excellent sauce to complement skirt or flank steak.  In fact, that's what I made it for initially this year.  I had grown some parsley as a part of my basement garden experiment, and thought chimichurri would be a wonderful use for it. I really like a chimichurri that pairs parsley with cilantro, so I used this recipe for my last batch. Unfortunately, my cilantro wasn't growing in my garden yet last time I made this sauce, but it's up now! Guess that means I'll be making another batch soon...especially since I found a few new ways to use it!

Chimichurri Avocado Burgers



Oh my. This meal was delicious. It was a cool and rainy day in May, when I had planned to make these burgers on the grill. I was protesting the unfavorable weather, though, and decided to fry up the burgers in a skillet. They were delicious! Pairing with cheese, chimichurri, arugla and avocado - these were the best burgers I've made in a while, even if they weren't cooked over a flame!

Ingredients:

  • A batch (or partial batch) of chimichurri sauce
  • 1lb. lean ground beef
  • 1/2 medium white onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 avocado
  • 4 oz white cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup baby arugula (loosely packed)
  • burger buns
  • Salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
Combine ground beef with onion, garlic, salt and pepper, working it in with your hands. Form four round burger patties and fry in a non-stick skillet over medium high heat, turning once, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F and each side is browned. If you don't have a good digital thermometer, stop what you're doing, and buy one now. I promise, it's a huge help to improve your cooking so you don't overcook your meat! Anywho, as the patties are frying, slice the avocado and cheese. Once the patties are done (or almost done), top with cheese and cover until the cheese melts. Place patties on buns, then top with chimichurri sauce, arugla and sliced avocado. Then, bite into deliciousness. You're welcome.


Sliced Chimichurri Chicken



This was as super simple quick dinner I made for myself with some of the extra chimichurri sauce (and avocado!). Simply grill up some chicken (you can marinate it if you want, but it's not necessary once you add the chimichurri!), the slice it into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Slice up a tomato and avocado, and alternate slices on a plate. Spoon chimichurri over top and enjoy!


Avocado Chimichurri Chicken Salad Wraps

Unfortunately, I forgot to get a photo of this last one! However, you'll notice that I'm reusing a lot of the same ingredients, which makes for efficient use of groceries. 

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup of chimichurri sauce
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and chopped
  • 1 avocado, mashed
  • 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 radishes, sliced
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • Flour tortillas

Directions:

Combine all ingredients except tortillas in a bowl, stirring until well combined. Scoop mixture into tortillas and wrap / roll up for an easy and delicious meal! This makes a great lunch or picnic meal. We actually had some of the leftovers on our boat, as we took it out for the first time this year! Great for a hot day, and super easy if you already had the chicken grilled up from the night before.

There you have it: three delicious ways to use this delicious green sauce known as chimichurri! Experiment with your own green sauce based on whatever herbs you have on hand. It's bound to be delicious. Enjoy!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION