at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Fall Harvest Salad with Maple Vinaigrette

fall harvest salad with maple vinaigrette dressing recipe

I'd really like to say that this salad represents a fall Michigan harvest, but I used avocado, so I can't. Instead, it represents what I had in my possession as far as produce goes and wanting to make a salad for company at the last minute. However, it does have apples and toasted pumpkin seeds and maple dressing -- so I'm going to call it Fall Harvest Salad anyways. Whatever name you want to give it, you will be calling it delicious.  I was a little skeptical of my own creation on this day, but I pleasantly surprised myself -- and some of our family! The salad part is really easy:



Salad Ingredients:

  • 4 cups baby leaf lettuce
  • 1/2 Honeycrisp (or other firm variety) apple, diced
  • 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1/3 cup feta cheese
  • 1/3 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Dressing Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
Directions:
Place lettuce in a serving bowl and top with apples, avocados, feta cheese and pumpkin seeds, segregated into quarters -- just for presentation. It also makes it easy to grab and mix in the toppings as you serve the salad. I only had raw pumpkin seeds on hand, so I did toast mine in the oven at about 300 degrees for 10 minutes or so. Be careful not to burn them. For the dressing, mix all ingredients together in a shaker or dressing container. Shake well and drizzle over top of the salad once served.


I wasn't sure how I would like this -- especially the dressing since I don't normally like sweet dressings. I thought this one turned out great! It was very simple and the flavors complemented the salad toppings really well.  I think the bite of the balsamic tempers out the sweetness of the maple syrup and vice versa. Salad experiment = success!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION