at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Cucumber Melon Summer Salad

cucumber watermelon cantaloupe summer salad with feta cheese recipe

Before I get into tonight's delicious summer recipe, I need to do a plug for our CSA. Did I tell you we joined a CSA this year?  CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture -- and is basically an association between members of the community and a local farm where you buy into a share of the farm's crops that year. I've thought about doing it for years, and this was the year. We are CSA members at Chimney Creek Farm, and it has been amazing so far! We bought a "half share" which ends up being about two bags of produce every other week. Between that and my garden, we are eating our share of veggies this year! We bought into a "premium" share, which means we also get a few extras from other local farms -- including fruit, syrup, herbs and other fun goodies. Last week's share included cantaloupe and cucumber. I'm not a huge cantaloupe fan, but one of the benefits of a CSA is that it forces you to try new things and get creative in the kitchen. Knowing that I was unlikely to just eat pieces of cantaloupe, I went in search of some other fun ideas. I found some good inspiration on Pinterest and ended up creating my own recipe for a Cucumber Melon Summer Salad. It's a great side dish for a hot night, and what makes it even more fun is serving it inside half of a melon shell!

Ingredients:
    cucumber melon salad in cantaloupe shell
  • 1 cantaloupe
  • 1 small watermelon
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Directions:

Slice melons in half horizontally. Cut around the edges and cut inside of melon into a grid shape to cube it up. You should then be able to scoop out the cubes pretty easily with a spoon. Cut any large pieces in half and add melon to a large bowl. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise, cut in half again, and then slice each quarter into pieces about 1/4 inch thick. Add to bowl. Add lime juice and basil to the mixture and toss to combine. Scoop melon mixture back into hollowed out melon halves (you may need to drain extra juices out of the melons - I added my extra melon juices to some tonic water with a squeeze of lime for a fun treat!). Top each melon bowl with 1/8 cup of crumbled feta.

cucumber melon salad dish recipe



This was an easy and fun summer recipe that paired well with grilled chicken. It's probably my favorite way I've eaten cantaloupe. Tom said he never would have thought of combining these ingredients, but liked it -- adding that it's the feta cheese that really made the dish. Give it a try on the next hot summer night when you don't want to heat up the kitchen!

watermelon bowls with cucumber melon salad with feta cheese



Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION