at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

French Bread, Fried Egg and Feta Brunch

Twas the day before Easter and I just had a hunch, that combining these ingredients would make a great brunch! Some freshly made feta, and freshly baked bread, a fried egg and fresh salad did rouse us from bed!  (Okay, enough of the rhyming.) Seriously, though. I've been on a homemade bread kick since a friend introduced me to this book (go buy it now!). And I FINALLY used my cheese making kit a friend got me for my birthday to make some feta! I needed to try out the cheese and brunch sounded like a good idea. I had seen some recipes for egg "boats" using french bread -- but I only took a half loaf out of the freezer and it didn't seem big enough for that. So, I made up something new. I don't know what to call it, so for now it's the FFF brunch (French bread, Fried egg and Feta). Whatever you want to call it, it's delicious. Also - brunch side salad = good idea!




Ingredients:
  • 1/2 loaf of French bread, sliced (I used the baguette recipe from the book, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day -- I had some stored in my freezer!)
  • 1/2 cup chicken andouille sausage, cooked and chopped (I had leftovers from dinner the night before)
  • 1/3 cup diced tomatoes
  • 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 orange, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups arugula
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
  • Salt, pepper and garlic powder
Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on both sides of each bread slice and place in hot skillet. Sprinkle bread with salt and garlic. Cook on each side until lightly browned. Divide bread slices between two plates and place in a row.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spread butter on both sides of each bread slice and place in hot skillet. Sprinkle bread with salt and garlic. Cook on each side until lightly browned. Divide slices between two plates and place in a row. Sprinkle feta, tomatoes and sausage over top.



Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet and add eggs one at a time. Set heat to low and allow eggs to set. Flip over and cook to desired doneness. Place a fried egg on top of french bread slices. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a bed of arugula topped with oranges and drizzed with olive oil.




YUM! The fresh, creamy feta really made this dish. If you've not tried making cheese before, I recommend trying it! It only took me 4 months to break into my cheese making kit -- it looked intimidating, but it was really quite simple. I'll be going for round 2 soon. I used cow's milk, but will maybe have to experiment with goat's milk, too, if I can get my hands on some.  Also, I don't think I've ever served salad as a breakfast/brunch side, but this was really simple and really good. Not bad for a spur of the moment, day before Easter creation!


Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION