at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Stuffed Acorn Squash - with Couscous, Bacon and Crispy Sage

Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe with couscous, bacon and crispy sage


I've been stepping out of my comfort zone a little this year and have been cooking a lot of squash!  I need to find and post some of the other recipes I've tried, but I thought I would write down tonight's meal right away, before I forget!  Tom had gotten a home grown acorn squash from somebody at work (my garden only gave us butternut squash this year), and I hadn't yet done any stuffed squash this year, so I figured it was time.  I wanted to just use up some ingredients I had on hand, and for some reason I really wanted to use couscous.  So, here is what I came up with.



Ingredients:


  • 1 medium sized acorn squash
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 3/4 cup couscous
  • 5 strips of bacon
  • 1/3 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
  • 1 bunch fresh sage leaves
  • salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.  Put a tablespoon of butter in each half, salt to taste and bake in a glass baking dish for 45 minutes.  While the squash is cooking, prepare couscous according to package directions. Fry bacon in a pan until crispy and transfer to a plate with paper towel to drain.  In leftover bacon grease, cook onion and bell pepper until softened. Add vegetables to cooked couscous. Again in the bacon grease, add sage leaves and fry until dark green and crispy. Crumble bacon and sage into couscous. Season with pepper to taste and mix until well combined.  Fill each squash half with couscous mixture and bake for an additional 15 minutes.  Enjoy!

I thought this dish turned out quite well. Although Tom actually likes squash more than I do, he's not always a huge fan of vegetarian meals for dinner. So, I figured the bacon would make it a little more tenable for him! The flavors mixed well, but you could easily alter the recipe based on what you have on hand.




Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION