at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Croissant French Toast

I wanted to make a special Christmas breakfast this year. I was perusing Pinterest and saw a recipe for Cranberry French Toast Casserole (which sounded pretty good), when an even better idea hit me. There's a restaurant in downtown Northville (Rebecca's) that Tom and I love and used to frequent. Every time we went for breakfast Tom would get the same thing: Croissant French Toast. Now, I'm not a huge French Toast person normally, but this dish is AMAZING. It comes complete with blueberries, strawberries, candied walnuts, and whipped cream. It's really more like a dessert. As I was thinking about it, I realized it wouldn't really be that hard to make. I found a recipe for Cinnamon Candied Walnuts on Pinterest, and also found a Croissant French Toast recipe for inspiration.




The candied Walnuts turned out okay, but not great. I think I would add more sugar and salt next time, and bake either for less time or at a lower temperature. Some of them ended up burnt after just 10 minutes. Once you have the walnuts, the rest of the recipe is actually quite simple to throw together.  Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
  • 2 large croissants, sliced in half lengthwise
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp. butter
  • 1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
  • 1/2 cup blueberries, blackberries or raspberries
  • 1/3 cup candied walnuts
  • Powdered sugar
  • Whipped cream
Directions:

Whisk together egg, milk and vanilla in a shallow bowl. Coat croissant halves with the egg mixture. Melt butter on a griddle over medium-high heat. Add croissant halves to the griddle and cook on each side until browned. Transfer two croissant halves to each plate. Top with berries, candied walnuts, a sprinkling of powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream. Simple as that!



These turned out so good that I actually made them twice in one weekend. Tom gave the first batch a rating of 4.5 of out 5 stars, and suggested serving it with some fruity syrup next time. So, this morning when I made them again, instead of topping with blackberries, I mashed up the blackberries and mixed them with a little bit of sugar. I spread the blackberry sauce over the croissants and then added the rest of the toppings. Delicious! And, to make breakfast even better, Tom made us eggnog lattes with our new espresso machine! A yummy way to start the day.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION