at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Mayo-Free Chicken Salad

I had chicken salad at a friend's house a while back. I normally don't eat chicken salad, because it's typically slathered in mayonnaise, which I despise. The recipe my friend made didn't have a strong mayo taste, and it was actually really good! I decided that I should try making it sometime, but I would have to find a mayonnaise-free recipe or there is just no way I would make it (mayonnaise is probably second only to mustard on my list of things I refuse to buy). Lo and behold, I discovered that I could use Greek yogurt instead of mayo, and I just happened to have some leftover Greek yogurt in my fridge from another recipe.  I looked up several recipes before deciding how I wanted to make mine. I also had several ingredients on hand that I wanted to incorporate -- including radishes that I had just gotten from the farmer's market.  I was really pleased with the way it turned out.  I served it on a rye swirl bread and had for lunch several days. Yum!  




Unfortunately, it has been a few weeks now, and I didn't write it down immediately, but as best as I can remember, here is how I made it:


Ingredients:

- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, fully cooked and diced
- 1 small container (5-6oz) of plain Greek yogurt
- 2 radishes, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced thinly
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow pear tomatoes, diced (I had garden tomatoes to use!)
- 1/2 cup of cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/8 cup of red onion, diced
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, garlic and dill to taste

Directions:

This would work great with a leftover piece of grilled chicken. I think I cooked mine on the stove, with maybe some lemon juice, garlic and pepper. In a medium sized bowl, combine Greek yogurt with lemon juice and spices to taste. Mix until thoroughly combined. Add chicken and vegetables and mix until evenly coated. Serve on rye or rye swirl bread.




I really liked the mix of flavors in this.  I would say that it turned out better than I expected, and I'll plan on doing this again as a lunch option!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION