at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

April (Snow) Showers Bring May Flowers

Snow storm on April 19th
I'm going to be honest: I have complained about the weather a LOT this year.  January wasn't bad, February was about on par with average, and I began to gear up for spring come March.  You know the whole "in like a lion, out like a lamb" thing?  Well, I'd say forget March -- even April was in like a lion...and out like a bear!  From temperatures that kept getting colder instead of warmer, to late season snow storms, I was not happy.  I kept wondering if April snow showers would still bring May flowers.  Lo and behold, as soon as May hit, somebody flipped the switch on the weather and we jumped from winter straight into summer!  We have now had a full week of what I would call the perfect weather: high in the mid-high 70s, mostly sunny, light breeze that is neither cool nor warm.  Perfect.  And my plants have loved it (and so have I!!).  After all of April's precipitation and all of the sunshine in the past week, my spring flowers and trees are in full bloom!  Here are a few of my favorites...










I planted my "early spring" vegetables late due to the still frozen ground, so there's not much to show yet there.  I have seedlings started indoors, and my tomatoes are doing the best they've ever done!  Most likely because I actually did some research this year and am trying to follow the rules for proper seed starting.  I'm hoping it's going to be a good garden year.  I even have a plan for the deer.  I have fashioned some netting out of tulle fabric that I plan to drape over any vulnerable plants if the deer find their way to my garden again this year.  They've already been digging up bulbs in my front yard!

Once I have something more interesting to show, I'll give the full vegetable garden update!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION