at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

It is now mid-April -- well into spring.  Yet, all week we have dealt with cold 30-40 degree weather and rain.  It's been dreary, to say the least, and I've been more than a bit cranky as I wonder aloud why spring has not yet arrived.  I was trying to decide what to make for dinner on Thursday night, and by the time I got home from work I had determined that it had to be soup.  A nice warm bowl of delicious, hearty soup would surely warm my spirit on a cold April day.  I had some chicken in the refrigerator that I had to use up or freeze, so I decided I'd make something with that.  I had this vague idea of making "Chicken Tortilla" soup, but I didn't really know what that entailed -- and since this was a last-minute meal, I had not gone shopping for any special ingredients.  I decided to peruse AllRecipes.com for some general direction, then raid my pantry to see what I could throw together.  This was the result.

Ingredients:

- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of enchilada sauce
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8oz salsa*
- Chicken broth
- Seasonings to taste: salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil

Directions:
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, and add chicken and spices to taste.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center.  Add chicken to a stock pot, along with beans, enchilada sauce, salsa, and onion.  Add enough broth to make it soupy -- use your own discretion.  I ended up adding a little bit of flour, too, to thicken it up.  Season with additional spices, if desired.  Serve topped with shredded cheese and tortilla chips.

*For the salsa, I used some homemade salsa that I had leftover from a couple of weeks ago.  A friend gave me this recipe -- it is SO easy and SO good!!

I thought it turned out great, especially for a "see what's in the pantry and try to make something of it" sort of meal.  The cheese and tortilla chips are a must, in my opinion :)  I think I'll be making this one again -- it was very simple and quick to make!  To make it even easier, just get a rotisserie chicken, shred that, and add some extra seasoning when you make the soup.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION