at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Lake Superior Circuit

Tom and I were reminiscing last night about a trip we took two summers ago.  I hadn't yet started my blog at that point, but I wanted to share some videos and experiences from that trip here -- so, sorry it's two years late, but here's an overview of our epic adventure around Lake Superior.

If you are unaware, Tom has a motorcycle -- it's an Italian bike that most people have never heard of: an Aprilia Caponord.  It's considered, so I'm told, an "adventure touring" bike.  Personally, I am not all that into motorcycles.  In theory they scare me, though I never actually feel scared when riding on the back of it.  Tom got this bike in the summer of 2009 -- literally just a few days before we had planned to leave on a trip for North Carolina. Yep, you guessed it: we ended up taking the motorcycle for that trip!

So, the next year, we decided we should plan another motorcycle adventure and invite some friends along.  Friends always make an adventure more fun!  We ended up going on a trip all around Lake Superior.  We started in Grand Rapids, MI -- 5 people and 3 bikes -- headed up to Sault Saint Marie, Michigan, up around the top of Lake Superior through Canada, down through Minnesota, a brief stint in Wisconsin then through Michigan's Upper Peninsula and back to where we began.  The whole trip was about 1,700 miles, which we did in 5 days, 4 nights.  It was a very cool trip, and my first chance to spend any real time around "the big lake they called Gitche Gumee."  

If you ever attempt something this, I'd definitely allow some extra time.  We were rather rushed and we had some very long riding days.  It was great fun with great people, though.  So, without further ado, I'll let you watch the videos our friend Brandon put together about our trip:

Part 1:



Part 2:

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION