at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Health Time Capsule

So, I signed up to receive prompts from WEGO Health for the Health Activist Writer’s Month Challenge – it’s supposed to be one post each day.  I thought it might be fun, but now I’m thinking I can’t commit to doing this every day right now.  Nonetheless, I will participate where and when I can.  This may somewhat defeat the purpose of the challenge, but oh well…here it goes!


Day 1  (April Fools!  I’m writing posting this on Day 2…oops): 





Health Time Capsule. Pretend you’re making a time capsule of you & your health focus that won’t be opened until 2112. What’s in it? What would people think of it when they found it?


If I were to make a health time capsule, it would have a few different components in it to capture my life and current experience in living with rheumatoid autoimmune disease (rheumatoid arthritis).  


Firstly, I would put in my slew of medicines, to show what I’ve been taking to help (try) to keep my symptoms in check.  I would put in both Enbrel and Humira to indicate my recent transition in biologic medications, along with Naproxen and Plaquenil.  Of course, I’d need to throw in some alcohol swabs and band-aids for good measure, too.




Secondly, I would include some of my own medical information, from my doctor, and my own tracking—like my ESR chart to track my inflammation over time, overlaid with commentary on symptoms and treatment.  It would give a larger view of my health story.




Thirdly, I would include some pictures of some of the other amazing patients I’ve met to indicate the sense of community that has been formed between us.  I’d probably include some from the American College of Rheumatology conference last November, as a reminder of what can be accomplished when many minds work together toward common goals.  




Finally, I would put in some of my favorite Bible verses that relate to RAD, as an additional note of hope and faith that God can work good out of even the evil of illness.  I might even put a thorn in there to go along with my favorite passage:


To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me.  Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me.  But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. --2 Corinthians 12:7-10


I would hope that if somebody found my time capsule, they would see that I am dealing with a serious illness that has real ramifications, but that that’s not the end of the story.  There is a hope that is found when we band together and when we set our sights on a higher power.

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION