at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

The Little Engine that Could

Let me start out with some back information.  I recently noticed that there's a 30-Day Challenge being put out by WegoHealth to write 30 health-related blog posts in 30 days throughout the month of November -- with them providing a prompt for each day.  I had just seen a few snippets about it the past couple weeks, but was inspired by a friend yesterday to jump on board and take on this challenge for the remainder of the month.  So, starting at day 16, here's my first post (although, ironically, my recent "Hands" post fit the prompt for November 15th).
Today's Prompt: When thinking about stigma, awareness, the healthcare system, and other big picture ideas – it’s easy to become overwhelmed. When we feel burned out, doubts creep in and we start thinking, “Maybe I can’t do this.” This happens to all of us – Health Activists are no exception. In fact, dealing with a health condition and managing a health community makes staying positive even more challenging.
Sometimes we worry we aren’t making enough of a difference. We’re perfectionists and over-achievers – and that’s ok. Because – guess what? You are making a difference and doing great things – no matter how small they may seem at times. Today’s post is about turning our doubts around – turn our “I can’t” into “I can.”
Write a list post with 10-15 lines that start each with “I think I can…”  Write 5 lines at the end that start with “I know I can.”
I think I can…use my RA story to help others in similar positions.
I think I can…bring hope to the broken.
I think I can…be open and honest about my health and the challenges I face.
I think I can…be a part of something bigger than myself.
I think I can…be a voice for others.
I think I can…use my talents to benefit the health community.
I think I can…accept the fact that RA may place limitations on my life.
I think I can…become a better leader.
I think I can…be strong when I need to be.
I think I can…make a difference in the lives of others.

I know I can…trust God to work all things for good.
I know I can…learn from others.
I know I can…do more to promote advocacy and awareness.
I know I can…be supportive of others.
I know I can…lend a listening ear to those who need it.

This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION