at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

I still remember when...

Prompt: I still remember…
Sometimes the hardest part of writing a post is getting started. That first sentence can be a challenge but, once it’s written, the post can sometimes write itself. So, like when you opened a book to find a random line to inspire your post – today, use something that will help you get the post started.

I still remember when I was in first grade, just starting school, with my whole life ahead of me.  As a part of a journal exercise in class, I wrote out what I saw as my future when I was an adult.  My best friend and I were going to live next door to one another.  We were each going to have a horse - one of us a male and one of us a female so that together our horses could have a baby.  I'm pretty sure we were both on track to becoming veterinarians at that point, or perhaps some sort of environmental scientist (it was in first grade that we created the H.S.O.E. Club -- the Help Save Our Earth club).  I was going to have a large plot of land and behind my own house I would build a house for my mom.

Well, fast forward 20 years.  My friend and I haven't lived in the same state since I was 10 (although she was the maid of honor in my wedding!); neither of us have horses; and neither of us became veterinarians or even studied anything science related.  And my mom lives a couple of hours away.  Sometimes life doesn't turn out the way you think it will (especially when you're 7!), but that's not always a bad thing. 

In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. -- Proverbs 16:9

Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LORD’s purpose that prevails. -- Proverbs 19:21

Actually, it seems that life never turns out the way I think or even try to plan.  But my life is filled with blessings and I trust that God has good things in store for my future, as well.




This post was written as part of NHBPM – 30 health posts in 30 days: http://bit.ly/vU0g9J

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION