at the Water's Edge


Living life and learning all I can along the way!

Simple Stir-Fry

Stir-fry is a great go-to option for dinner when you don’t know what else to make.  Chances are you have the ingredients for some sort of stir-fry already in your kitchen.  Although it’s simple, I am amazed at how many people have never really tried stir-fry or don’t know where to begin.  So, here are the basics of how to make a simple stir-fry, and some ideas of combinations.

Stir-fry typically consists of some type of meat, vegetables and seasonings, cooked in either an oil or a sauce.  For a vegetarian option, you can omit the meat and if you’re into tofu feel free to try that (sorry, I don’t cook with tofu, so no tips there!).  You can use just about anything you want, but my stir-fries most often consist of one of the following meats:

-          Beef (usually a thin-cut steak, sliced)
-          Chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed)
-          Turkey Sausage (sliced into rounds)

You can choose any combination of vegetables that you like.  I usually keep my vegetables pretty basic.  It’s hard to go wrong with bell peppers and onions.  Broccoli also goes great with just about any stir-fry dish. 

Next, choose how you want to season your stir-fry with spices, sauces, juices, etc.  You can cook your stir-fry in a little bit of vegetable oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic, or any seasonings you like.  Try adding soy sauce or teriyaki sauce for some Asian flair.  Sometimes, I cook my stir-fries in juice – pineapple juice is great for cooking chicken in.  Lemon and lime juice also add great flavor.  You can also use prepared sauces and marinades from the store.  Italian dressing works great. 

Once you choose what meats, vegetables and flavors you want, it’s simple to make.  Follow these basic steps:

  1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. 
  2. Add meat, sauces and spices.  Cook until meat is almost done, stirring frequently.
  3. Add vegetables.  Cook until vegetables are just tender, stirring frequently.

It’s that easy!  I find that most stir-fries are best served with steamed rice.  Some go well with pasta, and sometimes I add potatoes to my stir-fries.  Here are a few combinations that I like to make:

-          Chicken, cooked in pineapple juice, seasoned with pepper and garlic; use broccoli or green bell pepper for the vegetable.  Serve with rice.
-          Beef, vegetable oil, soy sauce, black pepper, red pepper, garlic, with sliced white and green onions.  Serve with rice.
-          Chicken, cooked in Italian dressing, with onions and bell peppers.  Serve with rice.
-          Chicken, cooked in oil, with a few squirts of lime juice, chopped jalapeno, bell pepper, onion, and cilantro.  Season with pepper, garlic and a dash of cumin.  Serve with rice.
-          Smoked turkey sausage, cooked in a small amount of chicken broth, seasoned with pepper and garlic; with bell peppers, onions, and broccoli.  Serve over egg noodles.
-          Smoked turkey sausage tossed with bell peppers and onions.  Serve with rice, or add cubed potatoes to the skillet.

The possibilities are endless, so be creative and don’t be afraid to try new combinations!

Share this:

ABOUTME

Hi there! My name is Dana and I live in West Michigan with my husband, Tom and our dog Copernicus. I created this space as a place to share the things I learn along this journey I call life. I work in marketing and I'm a sort of Jane of All Trades, interested in all things nature, gardening, cooking, exploring and learning new things. This blog is a conglomeration of my interests, hobbies, life and life lessons. Thanks for stopping by!

JOIN THE CONVERSATION